Thursday 18 June 2015

University Doubt and Apprehension

Not my usual blogging content but thought this may be helpful to a few people.

So its summer again and that means many of you will be preparing to start your first year of University around September 2015. As a Psychology student having just completed my second year at Uni I thought I could offer some help for those of you worrying about leaving home.

I was so nervous to move away from home and having social anxiety I worried that I would not make any friends and find it difficult to talk to anyone. Obviously I know now that I was being silly as I now have amazing friends that I have grown so close too and couldn't imagine having not met them.
Going to uni really has boosted my confidence, whilst I still hate talking to new people, I can manage to do it and not come across as nervous and shy.

Those of you worrying about money, I would recommend getting a job however I haven't taken my own advice and am currently living in my overdraft. Having an overdraft is okay and you do have time to pay it back after finishing your course, but it honestly is true when people say that once you get in to your overdraft you don't come out... believe me I know. But it is important to remember, when worrying about how your accommodation is expensive and your maintenance loan is small, that you are living in some sort of halls with possibly hundreds of other students and chances are that they are all in the same position so you'll all get through it together... unless you end up with some obscure member of a royal family as your flat mate.


It is important to make the most of your first year because I know from experience that second year is a whole lot harder and takes up more of your time, considering that it actually counts towards your final grade. Go out and make memories, most of the things you will reflect back on about uni when you are older will most likely be memories from your first year. I personally made the most of my first year which is why I left with a large overdraft and a 2:2. So far my second year seems to have been a year long academic hangover form first year.

Obviously I should say work hard in first year in order to prepare for year 2 where things get harder, and manage your finances responsibly. But lets face it no one is going to actually take that advice. One of the most important things is to enjoy yourself, I have made life long friends and memories and am glad for the experience i've had so far.

End note, pack a bottle of vodka for your first night of freshers... always better to be prepared (Only if you are over 18, or whatever the legal drinking age for your country is).

No comments:

Post a Comment