Friday 30 October 2015

The Kiss of Deception | Book Talk | Spoiler Free

The Kiss of Deception is a YA fantasy story by Mary E Pearson. I was apprehensive with this read at first, despite overall ratings being relatively high for the book I found that it was a Marmite book and people either loved or hated it.

The story follows Lia, a Princess who flees on her wedding day from an arranged marriage to a prince from another kingdom. She settles in a small village and is shortly gifted with the arrival of two handsome young men, however these men know exactly who she is. Not to mention that one man is the prince she was intended to marry and the other an assassin from a rebel group who has been sent to kill her. Both men take affection to her but who will she choose?, will she be killed?, will she discover their true identities? 

What I found particularly interesting about this book is that although we get chapters from the perspective of the prince and the assassin, as the reader we don't know which of the men Lia meets (named Rafe and Kaden) is which. I personally loved trying to work out who was who and admittedly I guessed wrong!

When it comes to shipping in this book I honestly switched between the two guys, I thought I liked one and then after it is finally revealed who is the prince and who is the assassin I decided I liked the other more... I have since read the sequel to this book The Heart of Betrayal and I still ship the guy I liked second with Lia, however i'm sadly not sure that they are the endgame couple.

Overall I think this is an interesting read that i'd give a 3.5/5. It may start slow but the last half/third of the book is great. If you love a good love triangle or trying to puzzle out which character is which this is definitely the book for you. Not forgetting that this book has such a beautiful cover.



No comments:

Post a Comment