Wednesday 20 May 2015

After The Dark/ The Philosophers | Movie Review

I just watched this movie the other week and I absolutely loved it! I don't believe there was ever much hype around this film and it was just by chance that I came across it whilst browsing numerous trailers on YouTube (We've all been there).


The movie is about a philosophy class, full of attractive young actors might I add, who's teacher challenges the twenty graduating seniors to choose which ten of them should take shelter in an underground bunker and reboot the human race in a hypothetical apocalypse.

What I love about this film is the transition between the students hypothetical planning within in the classroom and then the visual of what this hypothetical situation looks like. They end up taking 3 different attempts at the problem, each time taking a different perspective on the situation. I love watching movies like this which just seem so clever, debating between logic and morality.

The movie also has an incredible sound track which really helps add to the scene. I think this movie was advertised to me as a thriller which initially out me off as I don't often enjoy watching psychological tense films on my own and wasn't really in the mood for anything even remotely horror related. However I personally do not think I would call it a thriller and if any of you have the same feelings I did I can tell you that it's not scary and in my opinion there is really only one or two 'iffy' bits that i'm going to label unsettling. I personally was not fazed by any of it. I especially liked the little twist at the end of the film regarding Sophie Lowe and James D'Arcy's characters. 

The film stars some fairly well known actors as well as much new young talent. For example Bonnie Wright(Ginnie Weasley, Harry Potter), Sophie Lowe (Alice from OUATIW), and their hot teacher James D'Arcy (Edwin Jarvis from Agent Carter).



I know this film won't be to everyone's taste but I really enjoyed it, so much so that I think ive watched maybe another 2 times since. I give this movie a 8.5/10. As with most things I review on this blog I definitely recommend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment